The Teacher Assistant is responsible for assisting the Child Development Program staff in providing basic care and supervision in a structured and developmentally appropriate environment. Child Development Assistant’s will model positive supportive interactions with children.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Agency Commitment and Awareness
- Problem Solving
- Customer Service
- Financial Awareness
Essential Job Duties:
- Under the direction of the Child Development Supervisor, implement daily lesson plans by supervising and working with individual and groups of children.
- Assists in the preparation and clean up of activities, meals, special projects, etc.
- Supervise age appropriate activities for children.
- Provide a safe learning environment through the use of consistent limits, appropriate positive guidance techniques, and respectful attitudes and actions.
- Provide support to parents regarding positive guidance techniques.
- Ensure that children are supervised at all times in accordance with Policies and Procedures.
- Provide an atmosphere for children to develop positive self-esteem and pride by incorporating culturally sensitive activities and representations in room displays.
- Maintain all files and information in accordance with Confidentiality Policies and Procedures.
- Work cooperatively with volunteers, interns, and others providing agency and client services.
- Participate in in-service training and other meetings as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or the equivalency required.
- Early Childhood Credential and/or CDA preferred.
- One (1) year professional experience in an Early Childhood setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of child development, birth through adolescent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the issues affecting children of parents who abuse alcohol and other drugs.
- Demonstrated organization skills and ability to meet time deadlines.
- Experience maintaining agency and client confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with individuals and families from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be able to climb stairs. Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
- Current TB test required, physical and CPR/First Aid Certification preferred.